WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We are currently looking for a video editor who understands The Why Files format. Generally speaking, episodes are video essays / mini-documentaries about mysterious/strange topics but grounded in science and logic.
You’ll be working with researchers, writers and the host on crafting episodes.
Popular topics we’ve covered include:
- “Another Dimension? Time Portal? Another Planet? What’s at the Bottom of Mel’s Hole?”: This episode covers a classic Art Bell / Coast to Coast urban legend about a man named Mel who found a strange hole on his property. We then follow Mel on his journey around the country to determine the true purpose of the hole.
- “TESLA KNEW The Secret of the Great Pyramid: Unlimited Energy to Power the World”: We explore the possibility that the Great Pyramid of Giza is/was a power plant used to create electricity in ancient times.
- “Alien Bases On The Moon | The Amazing True Story of Ingo Swann”: Ingo Swann claimed to be a psychic who was employed by the CIA to remote-view the dark side of the moon. Specifically to look for an alien presence. Spoiler alert: he found it.
You are highly encouraged to familiarize yourself with The Why Files topics and format.
In this role you will be working with , researchers, research assistants, writers and our host, to edit episodes of The Why Files. The Why Files has an editing “style” and templates. You will be trained on this style, but you have creative freedom within the templates. If you think you can improve our existing style or format, pitch it.
- Create string-outs from footage and pull selects.
- Drop selects into timelines based on the script.
- Find and drop appropriate B-Roll.
- Choose music from several libraries.
- Organize and edit timelines according to The Why Files templates.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, especially Premiere Pro.
- Be relaxed and confident while being reliable with a great work ethic.
- You never miss a deadline.
- Knowledgeable in some or all of the following areas: internet culture (YouTube, Tik Tok, Instagram, etc.), media in general, trending topics.
- An interest in the topics covered by The Why Files.
TO BE CONSIDERED, PLEASE SUBMIT:
- An EDIT REEL or SAMPLE of work you’ve done in the past where you were the only editor. This doesn’t have to be YouTube related.
- List what Premiere plugins you are comfortable using.
- Your estimated turn-around time to edit a 20 minute episode (including b-roll) from 30-40 minutes of footage.
- Your per-episode rate.
NOTE: You will be asked to create a 2-3 minute demo from existing TWF footage. You will be paid for your time.